Alex was elected at the 2007 election as the Federal Member for Mitchell, an electorate centred on the Hills Shire in Northwest Sydney.
In September 2015, Alex was appointed as the Assistant Minister to the Treasurer. Following the 2016 Federal Election Alex was appointed the Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection. Due to the establishment of the Home Affairs Portfolio in late 2017, Alex was appointed the Assistant Minister for Home Affairs. On 27 August 2018, Alex was officially sworn in as the Special Minister of State in the first Morrison Government.
Alex’s previous Parliamentary positions included service as Member, Speakers Panel and Committee roles as Chair of the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters and Chair of the House Standing Committee on the Environment.
Alex was also a member of the House Standing Committee on Education and Employment and the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade.
The Mitchell electorate is changing rapidly, with many young families moving into expanding suburbs. Our community has so many innovative small and medium enterprises and their prosperity will be a core priority for the Turnbull Government. Alex is also an advocate for reducing the size and scope of government and ongoing reduction of red and green tape for small and medium businesses.
Alex holds a Masters of Government and Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Sydney University. He has also served as an Army Reserve Officer. Alex has a deep interest in Australian history, is a strong supporter of the Parramatta Eels and the Western Sydney Wanderers.
Raised in Sydney’s North Western suburbs, Alex, his wife Amelia and their sons, Jack, Lachlan and Thomas, reside in Mitchell.
Alex Hawke's First Speech to Parliament
Elected to the House of Representatives for Mitchell, New South Wales, 2017, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
Member, Speaker's Panel from 4.3.14 to 14.9.15.
Assistant Minister to the Treasurer from 21.9.15 to 19.7.16
Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection from 19.7.16. to 20.12.17
Assistant Minister for Home Affairs from 20.12.2017 to 26.8.2018
Special Minister of State from 26.8.2018
• House of Representatives Standing: Petitions from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Education and Employment from 4.12.13 to 9.9.15; Environment from 4.12.13 (Chair from 9.12.13 to 9.9.15) to 14.9.15.
• Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 4.12.13 to 14.7.14 and from 7.9.15; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13.
• Joint Select: Cyber-Safety from 25.10.10 to 24.6.13.
• Member, Liberal Party from 1995.
• Member, Liberal Party State Executive (NSW) 2002-05; Member, Liberal Party Federal Executive 2005.
• President, Young Liberals (NSW) 2002-05; Federal President, Young Liberals 2005.
• Member, Liberal Party Campaign Committee.
• Delegate, Liberal Party State and Federal Councils.
• Born 9.7.1977, Wollongong, NSW.
Qualifications and occupation before entering federal Parliament
• BA (Syd)(Government/Philosophy).
• Masters of Government and Public Affairs (Syd).
• Retail manager 1998.
• Adviser to the Minister for Revenue and Assistant Treasurer, the Hon. HL Coonan 2001-03.
• Adviser to the Hon. DJ Clarke, MLC 2003-07.
• Adviser to RC Williams, MLA 2007.
Officer, Australian Army Reserve, Royal Australian Armoured Corps; Lieutenant, 1st/15th Royal NSW Lancers, Parramatta 1995-2000.