Our local community groups are vital to the Mitchell Electorate.
That’s why the Coalition Government is supporting our local community organisations to be more energy efficient, reducing emissions and lowering their power bills.
A $5 million Solar Communities Program will provide grants of up to $12,500 for eligible community organisations for small-scale solar and battery projects. This is part of our $50 million investment in the Energy Efficient Communities Program.
We know that community groups struggle under the weight of high power prices. That’s why we’re taking strong steps to ensure they get the practical support that they need to reduce their energy use without reducing productivity.
Grants could be used to fund new solar PV, solar hot water and battery systems. Solar systems can generate electricity during the day and the battery systems can store electricity to run lights, refrigeration and air conditioning systems into the evening.
We are investing in community groups, so they can continue to support our local community.
Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open and should be returned to my office by 5pm, Thursday 28 March 2019.
How Do I apply?
Who is eligible?
- You must be a community organisation that is a legal entity, able to enter into a grant agreement with the Commonwealth
- Your organisation pays the power bills
- If you do not own the building in which you operate for you must be able to gain consent from the owner to make modifications/installations to the building
- If the building is under lease the lease agreement must be a minimum of 10 years or information provided as to how long you have occupied premises and who from
When will I know if my EOI is accepted?
- Organisations will be notified of their successful or unsuccessful application by early May 2019. After this time a more formal grant process will be administered by the Department of Environment. Details of this process and roll out dates will be provided after successful EOI’s have been notified.
How many grants will be issued?
- A total of $5 million has been allocated nationally.
- Up to 4 grants will be available per electorate.
- All EOI’s will be assessed on their individual merits including size of systems, estimated cost, electricity saved and the number of community members that may benefits.
For more information about the Solar Communities Program, please contact my office on 9899 7211.
Please complete this expression of interest form and lodge by 5pm, Thursday, 28 March 2019.
If you have any questions, please call my office on 9899 7211.
If you wish to attach any supporting documentation – ie: plans, prices, please email me.