The Communities’ Environment Program – $22 million to support local communities to deliver a wide range of on-ground projects that conserve, protect and sustainably manage our environment.
Under the Communities Environment Program, each federal electorate can receive up to $150,000 in grant funding for small-scale, community-led projects for environmental priorities such as:
- waste and litter reduction
- protecting native animals, including our threatened species
- addressing weeds and pest animals
- restoring and improving coasts, wetlands, riverbanks and waterways
- greening parks and urban areas
This program aims to support the environmental priorities of local community and environment groups in their regions and neighbourhoods. It aims to not only recover and strengthen our environment, but also to build and strengthen our communities.
Each electorate can receive funding for up to 20 projects, with the minimum grant amount being $2,500 and the maximum grant amount set at $20,000. Projects are nominated for funding by the Local Member of Parliament in consultation with the community.
Initial Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open and should be returned to my office by 5pm, Thursday, 28 March 2019.
Who is eligible?
- You must be a community organisation that is a legal entity, able to enter into a grant agreement with the Commonwealth.
- Community clubs (including Lions clubs, rotary clubs, scouts and guides groups, sports clubs), not-for-profit organisations such as Indigenous organisations, Landcare groups (including bushcare, coastcare, ‘friends of’ groups), schools, councils, and other community and conservation groups are all encouraged to apply.
How do I express interest?
- You may complete the EOI by downloading the form, once completed scan and email to my office or scroll down to complete an online application.
- The fact sheet provides information on the types of projects that can be funded.
- I’ll then be considering the Expressions of Interest and deciding which projects to nominate after consulting with the community through a panel.
- If your organisation is nominated, you’ll be invited by me to apply formally when the program officially opens in mid-2019 through the Australian Government Business Grants Hub. Nominated projects will need to meet Program Guidelines and eligibility criteria, which will be made available closer to the opening date.
How many grants will be issued?
- A total of $22.65 million has been allocated nationally.
- Up to $150,000 is available in each electorate for up to 20 projects between $2,500 and $20,000.
For more information about the Communities’ Environment Program, please contact my office on 9899 7211.
If you wish to attach any supporting information - plans, prices etc and letters of support, please email me.